Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Passion

One of the things that I was looking for when I decided to come to the US was what I called "my passion". I had hints of it because I loved my job at the Psychological Research Institute where I worked. But I wanted to go beyond that and really become one with my passion. Even though I had a rough childhood and adolescence in economic terms, I never wanted to settle down for a job that would give me "only" money. And by this I don't mean to diminish the value of money because I know exactly what is like not to have money available for food or other necessities. But I was always inspired by people that did wonderful things and did these things happily. When I see artists or scientists that manage to move people and interest people in their creations or discoveries without necessarily trying, that is when I see the passion that I am talking about. There is something very compelling about someone who is in love with what they do. And there are people like that in all walks of life.
When I taught psychology to freshmen in college, I knew that I had found my call. Not that I think that I am good at teaching, at least not yet. But I know that this is something that I want to spend my energy on. As it turns out, I haven't taught again, at least not formally. Raising my two sons is a continuous teaching process but it is not the same. There is little time for preparation and there are no textbooks whatsoever.
So, I slowly walk towards teaching again, walking the steps of the dissertation process which can sometimes be distracting and often makes me forget that this is really what I love to do.

No comments: